Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Burb Grub

It was time for a trip outside of the city and into the burbs. I had a girls lunch at Blue Sage Vegetarian Grille in Southampton. I have been there many times before and every time I go I try to order something new, however the last time I went I ordered the EL FINO wrap and I really enjoyed it so I wanted a repeat. The EL FINO wrap is a griddled spinach wrap with grilled pears, maple pecans, grilled onions, baby greens & dairy free carmelized onion mayo. It's served with a spring mix in pear-walnut vinaigrette, oranges, roasted baby yellow beets & sundried cranberries. The first time I had it it was incredible and the carmelized onion mayo was so rich and creamy and not one part of the ingredients overpowered another, however this time I ate it and there were way too many pear slices. I wish I could have tasted the maple pecans and mayo more and though I was a bit disappointed, I couldn't have been more satisfied after eating both halves of the wrap along with the spring mix salad on the side.
For the table we ordered the sampler and the warm pita slices were gone in less than 10 minutes. We dipped the pita in a smoked red pepper hummus, baba ghanoush, israeli farmers salad of black lentils, tomato and cucumber with feta and falafel topped with Moroccan glazed carrots with pepitas. Everything was delicious and completely fresh and we all agreed that the food was satisfying but not overly stuffing. We enjoyed our appetizer and main dish and had some great conversations about life and girly things of course! The atmosphere is relaxing and nice for lunch meetings with friends, family and coworkers. It can get a bit loud in the room because it's quite small, so be prepared to speak loudly when necessary!
Overall this place is great for people willing to try vegetarian dishes in a crazy cool restaurant with amazingly tasty combos on their menu. Don't be surprised if you spend 20 minutes just trying to figure out what you want because the options all sound delicious!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First time blogger who stumbled; upon your blog:
I'm no vegetarian but I can honestly say the EL FINO wrap sounds incredible. Griddled spinach wrap with grilled pears, maple pecans, grilled onions, baby greens & dairy free caramelized onion mayo, who would think of combining a dish like that. To be frank I never heard of caramelized onion mayo. Where would I even start to look for such ingredients, Whole Foods? I would like to find out more about places I can go and eat or shop. I have heard that Vegan Shopping can be costly but I’m not one for excuses so I’m willing to see what’s out there.
When I returned to my hometown to visit my family for the holidays I found out that my older brother and his fiancĂ© turned vegetarian. I was shocked, since he was always a big steak fan. I then found out I have 4 cousins, 2 friends and my barber turned vegetarian this year alone. Is everyone turning Vegan? Even on my trip back home I chatted with Unaragazza Bella my temp-seat buddy who was also a Vegan. I admired the fact that she never tried to sell it to me, then again now I’m Vegan curious - could it have been reverse psychology? Either way, I admire the health benefits and the spiritual gain that come with being vegan.