Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

4th of July

4th of July in San Francisco! Yes, this is almost as amazing as New Year's Eve in Times Square!

Waking up to the beautiful San Mateo sunshine started off the day perfectly. Playing tennis at the park for an hour pushed the perfection to a new high. Oh yes, nationwide tennis match going on in San Mateo between my friend and her mom. :) It felt great to get out and play without rain pouring down on the courts like it would in PA.

The day got off to a slow start, mostly because of the eventful day I had yesterday. After a cereal and soy milk breakfast, a tofu sandwich and fresh fruit lunch, my friend and I packed our gear to meet up with friends in Foster City, a town south of San Mateo.

San Francisco Bay is a prime spot for fireworks on the 4th of July, however, the crowds can be a bit much for those wanting to actually see the fireworks. Also, the fog is usually somewhat of a problem, as it blocks the fireworks show altogether. So, we figured the best spot to check out the fireworks would be out of the city and into a quiet town.

The seating area was on park land overlooking a river-like waterway where people could ride their boats. The scene was set with groups of friends, family, couples sitting around the water and on the grass looking into the clear, night sky waiting for the show to begin.

Once the sun set completely, the show began and we enjoyed a half hour of a great light show.

For a moment I realized that as I turned to my left and right I wasn't among anyone who I've known for more than 8 months! I was amidst strangers. They'd taken me in as one of their friends- as someone they enjoyed being around and mistakened as a longtime friend.

But within that moment I realized this is what life is about, escaping that comfort zone that holds one back from reaching out to others and from understanding that life is filled with change.

No comments: