Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Burn Baby Burn

Day Two in Santorini consisted of a very relaxed morning and it felt so good to not have to rush off to anywhere. We ate a personal breakfast served by the Villa owner and her two kids. They were so cute and watched us eat most of the time, but we didn't mind all that much because I'm sure we acted a bit weird to them.

Today was beach day, so we hopped on a bus and headed out to Kamari Beach, which was a 20 minute drive from the main town center. The sand was unbelievable! It was black and wasn't even sand- the coast was filled with pebbles and rocks and the water was crystal clear to the point where if you swam out, you could still see straight down. Of course I didn't find that out because I didn't go far into the water, but that's what I was told. Swimming, as some of you know from last summer's experience in Cinque Terre, doesn't work out for me all that much so I stayed away from it and hung by the coast with the little kids. We spent a good three hours on the beach just laying out and enjoying the beautiful scenery, except for of course the topless old women who were completely disgusting. I could not believe my eyes. The courage these women must have to just walk around topless while sitting right next to their husbands and their kids! What is the deal with that? I think it's completely unnecessary and should be prohibited. Who wants to go to the beach and watch a half naked woman wandering about just letting it all hang out. Nope, definitely not me. So once my eyes stopped feeling sick from all the polluted sites, I concentrated on getting some lunch.

The lunch I conjured up and went on a long journey to find ended up being so delicious and so unique. I ordered a Sunshine Salad from the Sunshine Bar and Restaurant. It had oranges, bananas, lettuce and avocado on it. I mixed in oil and they gave me orange dressing on the side that complimented the fruit so well and gave it a tangy flavor. Once I brought it back on the beach I added my own almond and cashew mix to get my protein and ate it with fresh fried potatoes to be my starch. It was a perfectly balanced meal to enjoy while sitting back on the beach.

Once I finished eating, I went back into the sun full force and had no idea that it would be my biggest regret of the day. I sat too long in the midday Santorini sun and ended up frying up my body. I got so burnt up on my stomach and my thighs that I saw it instantly. I was feeling sick and so sun exhausted that I drank two bottles of water in less than 10 minutes and avoided touching any part of my body. I have never gotten this much sunburn in my life, so I didn't expect my skin to start burning today. Well it did and now I have to deal with the consequences.

Once my skin cooled off and I got a jacket to wear to quell the chills I got from the sunburn, we headed back out to OIA to see the sunset yet again. It was attempt two and this time I had good feelings. We arrived at the coast and sat on the edge of a cliff to peer over and watch the sunset. It took about an hour to set and I took a picture of it setting every 10 minutes. It was absolutely breathtaking and so incredible to see. The night was just beginning and this was the perfect way to start it off.

Dinner was next on the agenda and we ate at some tropical place with trees and outdoor wooden seating. It had a simple menu and the option I went for was the spaghetti primavera. It had eggplant, zucchini, and capers in a light tomato sauce. It was a good choice, but the flavor wasn't really there. I ate most of it but have decided to leave the spaghettis and pastas to the Italians :)For dessert though- Santorini topped the list. We each ordered our own crepes and mine was filled with dark chocolate, bananas and strawberries- the gooey chocolate dripped all over the fruit to make a great combo and a great after dinner treat! I wanted more!

The nightlife in Santorini was fantastic and there was a big young crowd walking along all the shops and eateries that were still open until after 12. Clubs were packed and music was heard all throughout the city center. It was definitely something to experience.

No comments: