Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Una bella famiglia, una bella vita

This weekend was spent visiting my relatives in Italy. I am from a small town about two hours southeast of Rome and it's a town with massive mountains and a beautiful landscape. It is truly a hidden gem in Italy that has yet to be discovered by tourists and such- but I have some plans on how to do this...

I don't think I went more then three hours without eating something- my diet consisted of potatoes, zucchini, bread, pasta, certain dolci and just anything my family fed me and forced me to consume. I wasn't complaining much because I still managed to get my runs in up and down the mountains and burn off a few calories here and there.

Every time I visit the town I fall in love with it all over again. I don't know if it's the mountain air or what, but the pull that the town has on me is quite strong. Kait and I went for the usual Saturday morning market run after getting a great night's sleep and we shopped for coffee and chocolate and she stopped for a quick cappuccino. The day was still young and we headed back to the house to clean up a bit and prepare for departure tomorrow. There's not really much to do in the town during the day, so it was perfect for us to lay back and not have to be somewhere at a certain time. I took advantage of the time by writing and catching up on some reading. We went for a long hour run and workout through the mountains and farm land and checked out some new dirt roads. It was great and I felt amazing after! All those carbs have me going strong!

Once we settled a bit and showered especially, we got ready to visit more family members and head out for a bit, but mother nature had a different plan for us. It poured and hailed for two hours straight and everything was flooding. We watched the water pour down the cobblestone hills and and down to the bottom of the town. The temperature dropped about 30 degrees and we were forced to wear our jackets! It goes from being 80 degrees to 30 degrees phew. Well, we enjoyed a cool (for lack of a better word) night out on the town, but managed to make it back in time to head out for Rome.

No comments: