Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Do we really have to leave?


It was our last day in Santorini and there was no reason for us to leave except there was a ferry leaving at 4pm and tickets that had our names on them. Looking back we probably should have spent more time touring the islands, but overall we are happy to have stopped in Santorini for the time we did. It was back to the big city...but first we took in every last ounce of the island beauty and fun that surrounded us, especially in the town center of Fira.

I had a vegetarian gyro for lunch and enjoyed the lightness of the pita bread and the tzatziki sauce. I got it from the place we ate at the first place because I knew I couldn't go wrong. When my stomach was full, we took a few hours to walk around the shops and cobblestone roads up and down hills and along the coast to see the water below. It was a great morning to just relax and enjoy the sites, but to watch out for the donkey poo that was left behind on some roads. The city has such a life to it though it is so small and compact.

The day was unfortunately ending for us and the time had come for us to board the ferry. Let's just sum up the whole eight hours on the ferry as being so bad that now exactly 25 hours after being on the boat, I am still rocking back and forth and my brain hasn't gone back to normal. I thought my sea bands would help, but apparently the force of the water was too strong. I should thank the god Poseidon for that one...yea I'm corny. Anyway, they don't like to serve vegetarian friendly food on the ship, so I basically starved the whole way but saved my stomach a little by eating greasing chips- yum.

We docked at midnight in Athens and couldn't think of anything better to do than pass out.

The good thing about the ferry ride was that we always manage to meet new people so we met a family from Ohio and chatted with them for awhile. There were a lot of people on the ship though and things got a bit rowdy. Drunken people came on board and whipped out cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, beer and olives and just started playing cards and eating. that was precisely the time we decided to move our seats, but what I should have done was sat right on next to them and mooched off of their food- it looked so fresh and delicious! They just didn't like so fresh and delicious- hence the reason why I stayed away. ;)

No comments: