Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Confusion of the Corn


Yessss corn bread. The delightful smell of the corn bread, the appealing look of the corn bread, the tantalizing feel of the corn bread, the addicting taste of the corn bread and the influential sound of the corn bread calling out for me to eat it. The joys of corn bread. Vegan corn bread. or should I say: Vegan corn bread?

I was at Whole Foods this past Sunday buying groceries and I went past the bakery to buy some corn bread to compliment dinner for that evening, so I picked up a loaf of corn bread that had the vegan sticker on the front. I chose the cranberry corn bread this time because I wanted to try something a bit different and a bit more seasonal. I went for it. Bought it. and began eating it with my dinner. Well, about 1/5th into the actually log of corn bread, I flipped it over to read the back sticker of what ingredients were put into it and lo and behold I saw the ingredients listed were not vegan. This is precisely the moment where I began to flip out. I threw the corn bread down, analyzed the wrapper flipping it front to back, front to back and realized that the vegan sticker on the front didn't match the non vegan ingredient list on the back. Wow I was confused! I thought I has just picked up the non-vegan corn bread by mistake and had eaten the one with whole eggs and milk. I passed pieces of it around to my family members and had them taste test it to see if there was any difference in the taste compared to vegan corn bread (because none of them are strict veg like me). Well, no one said really said it could or couldn't be vegan, so I decided to call Whole Foods to tell them about it.

The lady from the bakery was completely outraged by it and confused and unsettled about the fact that the labels were different and they were confusing customers. She made sure the items were pulled and changed. She did mention that the bread was vegan and there was no doubt about it- they just put the wrong back label on it. I wasn't really that sure still, so I asked about three different ways if she was sure about it. She kept saying yes, so I finally believed her and spent the next 10 minutes finishing the corn bread :) I was happy! Yay to cranberry corn bread (when labeled appropriately)!

P.S. I was going to ask for my $2.87 back from Whole Foods because of all the confusion and upset I had to deal with (still planning on seeing a psychiatrist), but my mouth was too full with corn bread to bother asking ;)

The corn bread lives on!

No comments: