Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Vegan Brunch? Are you serious?

So there's this fairly new place called Mi Lah Vegetarian on S. 16th Street near Rittenhouse Square that I had the opportunity to eat at this past Saturday. I didn't think it would be a full out vegan place- I only thought it was vegetarian so when I walked in and sat down to read the Saturday/ Sunday brunch menu in front of me I noticed all of these cheese items listed, as well as creamy sauces on the dishes. I was insanely disappointed and sat there staring- thinking about how I would have to go through the whole "I'll take this, but can you not put cheese on it please" deal. However, I asked the waiter if they used real cheeses because on the top of the menu it said "vegan brunch," so I was like "yo Mr. waiter dude- are these 'American cheeses' real cheeses or vegan cheeses?" and he's like "yo Miss customer- they are rice cheeses" and that was when I fell in love...with vegan brunch at Mi Lah Vegetarian.

My world opened up to all the choices I had.

My decision became harder to make.

My stomach began to growl louder...

so I decided to order the veggie sausage meal with biscuits, mushroom gravy, fried portobello mushrooms and red bliss/ sweet potato home fries....WOW- among the other choices though were pumpkin pancakes, veggie breakfast burritos and more. I just couldn't decide! Once the dishes came out I dug right in and was a bit taken back by how smokey the veggie sausage tasted. I was not happy with that part of the dish, however I did enjoy the red bliss/ sweet potato home fries and the mushroom gravy atop the biscuits. I kept questioning the fact that it was all vegan because normally places don't serve vegan brunch this way...oh but it was surely vegan. The breakfast burritos my boyfriend got was incredibly delicious and all of it was filled with spice and flavor beyond compare. I could've probably eaten his whole dish of seitan taquitos and tofu scramble burritos. It was very colorful and down right delicious! Both dishes were great and something different to experience, especially for brunch on a Saturday afternoon. One thing that kind of bugged me was the difference in food portions between my plate and his plate- his plate was completely filled with color and life and mine was sort of boring and sparse with the food. That may be something they'd want to try and keep an eye on next time they plate the food. On the other hand, I was impressed by the menu options and found it to be an intriguing place to try for dinner and for the regular lunch menu or just to go back for those pumpkin pancakes!! YUM so SSSSEASONAL!

don't be afraid to try different things...you may be pleasantly surprised at what you'll find...especially cause at Mi Lah they start you out with a plate of fruit- totally rad :P

No comments: