Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Spriggin' Delicious!

WOW! I took a drive with my mother and sister to New Hope on this gorgeous, autumn Sunday and we stumbled upon this fairly new vegan restaurant called Sprig and Vine. Our original intent was to go to a bridal shoppe to browse through for my mom's mother-of-the-bride gown, but we made a detour to the restaurant once we saw that it was in the same Union Square Shopping Center. Upon walking into the restaurant I fell in love with the woodwork and the small, intimate dining space it had. When we were seated in the booth in the back of the restaurant, we noticed that the New Hope train passes through. This just added an even more unique flair to the space!

Let me tell you though...when the waitress brought over that Sunday brunch menu my jaw dropped and I was salivating like crazy and was surely not thinking about that train anymore! There were options like biscuits and gravy, grilled peach and green zebra tomato salad, french toast, breakfast burrito, chocolate chip pancakes, caraway-crusted tempeh reuben and...and...and...so much to choose from! We decided to order a few things and sample each other's plates. My mom ordered the biscuits and gravy and home fries. The biscuits tasted like pure buttermilk biscuits from KFC or something- definitely not anything I've been able to eat in quite awhile and the gravy was dead on- thick and creamy just like it is on Thanksgiving Day. The home fries were crispy and seasoned lightly and topped with caramelized onions- YUM! I can still taste them. Now my sister ordered the french toast. The dish was covered with berries, apples, nuts and this sweet vanilla cream. The toppings were delicious and weren't too sweet and actually the tarty berries calmed the sweetness down a bit, but the one thing I didn't like was the bread they used for the toast. The most important thing for french toast is the bread! I was annoyed by the chewy, hard to cut baguette bread that was used and would've like maybe a softer, grainier bread instead. What I had in front of me was the complete opposite of the sweet dish- it was a savory dish. The breakfast burrito was filled with scrambled tofu, potato, black beans, avocado, salsa verde and smoked paprika aioli. The flavors came together so well and having the potatoes in the burrito definitely helped- While I was eating it though I was waiting for a creamy sauce to surface, but it didn't come through until my last two bites and I was disappointed that I hadn't tasted it from the beginning. Also, my sister and I agreed that maybe it could have been made without the black beans, but then again it would be hard to call it a true burrito-wouldn't you say?

In the end, we didn't leave one bite on any of the plates! Everything was super delicious with a few personal critiques here and there, but it is definitely a place I'd go back for brunch and even try it out for lunch or dinner. Those menus had more options and could satisfy many different palettes. The prices are so reasonable and for the amount of food and quality of food- it is very much worth every penny.

P.S. we checked out the dessert menu even though we knew we couldn't fit any more in our stomachs and there were a few simple dessert items on it- nothing that really caught my eye, especially because I had just eaten the sweet french toast and savored every last bite of that burrito.

What a great way to spend the day in New Hope. Oh yea...we did end up going to the dress shop- once we digested our food!

No comments: